Regardless of your passion, you can be sure we will be right there with you every step of the way. A lot goes into making Payless ShoeSource a great place to work. Most of what makes us great is you! If you want to be a part of a company with passionate people who work hard and always want to "do the right thing", it's time to make Payless your perfect fit.
You know who you are. And you know what moves you. That's why your chosen career should fit you as well as your favorite pair of shoes, every step of the way. And that's what makes a career with Payless ShoeSource the perfect fit for you.
Opportunity to be apart of a high volume retailer within a large category. The Associate Buyer supports the Merchandise Manager or Buyer in managing category with specific buying responsibility for assigned department classifications.
As an associate buyer at Payless you will help build preliminary assortments for specific clusters or categories. The associate buyer will identify future trends, distinct product ideas, and cluster differences within the department team. This role allows someone to be a key contributor to buying team in making decisions on the product assortment.
- With limited supervision, plans, purchases, communicates and controls merchandise and marketing for an assigned category/class to maximize sales and profit
- Is accountable for performance of assigned departments including sales and profit plans, inventory, Initial Mark-On (IMU) and Maintained Mark-Up (MMU)/Gross Margin.
- Works with agents, Payless Product Development/sourcing team and design team to execute product creation that supports the trends, big ideas and key items of the department and category.
- Partners with Merchandise Manager/Buyer to negotiate commitments, analyzes costs, sets pricing for assigned departments
- Initiates purchase orders, production reservations and detail commitment
- With limited supervision, assists Merchandise Manager /Buyer with follow-up marketing plans including reviewing items, system updates and communication to teams
- Provides input to the Merchandise Manager /Buyer in building detailed assortments for assigned departments and practices exception based management, identifying issues and recommending solutions to the Buyer
- Assists Merchandise Manager /Buyer in execution of all related merchandising activities including monitoring and tracking Open-To-Buy, timing and execution of pricing.
- Utilizes processes and systems to develop assortments in accordance with the established sequence and timeline
- Responsible for executing the teams merchandising strategy with Payless.com
- In the absence of an assistant buyer within the merchandising community, the associate buyer will be responsible for assistant buyer responsibilities
- Supports the Merchandise Manager /Buyer in training & development of Assistant Buyer for professional advancement and promotion
- Undergraduate Degree in Fashion Merchandising, Business, Marketing or a related field required
- Three to five years preferred of retail store/.com buying experience in a department or specialty store environment. Assistant buyer or above with 3+ years of relative experience.
- Comfortable with analytical and quantitative analysis of financial data
- Highly reliable and detail oriented
- Resourceful and self-confident
- Strong presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective management of fast paced environment
Payless ShoeSource is the largest specialty family footwear retailer in the Western Hemisphere, offering a wide range of shoes and accessory items at affordable prices for every member of the family. The company’s mission is simple: Become the first choice for style and value in footwear and accessories for our customers. Payless has more than 4,400 stores in more than 30 countries and was founded in 1956 in Topeka, KS. where its global headquarters remains today.
Being located in Topeka, KS, facilitates easy travel to all parts of the country. And, Topeka enjoys close proximity to Kansas City and Lawrence, home of the University of Kansas, providing our Associates with multiple communities in which to reside.